Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who feels Robbed?

Stacey and I love to watch movies. Admittedly our tastes can differ, but I really love most of her movies, I even liked the Notebook, and Pride and Prejudice is freakin' amazing! We watch old movies and musicals and spend lazy Sunday afternoons in the flicker of movies three times as old as we are, and sings the melodies to the hallmark classics such as "there once was a man..." from The Pajama Game, or "All I want is a room somewhere..." from My Fair Lady, and so on.

So... Stacey and I sat down Sunday to watch 'Gone with the Wind.' The anticipation building from the moment we bought the film. Here is the most watched movie of all time. Often hailed as the masterpiece of cinema and the benchmark by which hopeful writers, actors, directors and even producers hope to stand against. But....
both she and I feel robbed! Robbed of the eighteen dollars for the second-hand four disc DVD set, and the four hours it took to watch it!

Scarlett was a terrible character, she just moved from selfish and naive to selfish, cruel and using! And then the ending... home is the only thing that matters, tomorrow is another day? I would have happily watched another two hours just to see her redeem herself.

I do cannot understand how this is the most beloved movie of all time! I think there is a conspiracy, your parents and mine got together to talk up this movie and jokingly steal four hours from our lives. Stacey and I won't be doing this to our children! I would much rather watch the Wizard of Oz to understand "there's no place like home." At least Dorothy learns something and becomes a better person at the end. I like happy endings, if that makes me uncultured or closed-minded, then so be it. For there is no ending as disappointing as that which refuses to resolve, it is a flaultering thing, as when you're robbed of a sneeze. All the anticipation with none of the comfort. So tell me, who feels robbed?

2 comments:

Mommy Parr said...

The real tragedy is that you hadn't seen the movie before now and that you didn't read the book before viewing, what I deem, one of the greatest movies of all time. And, the book is my all-time favorite, bar none.

Are y'all from the south? If not I would understand you not grasping the concept of the movie as well but even so.....

I guess we can still be friends but this puts serious questions in my mind about your taste in movies. J/K :)

Mike + Stacey Duncan said...

we are both from the south, born and raised in texas, but we were really frustrated that scarlett didn't learn from her selfish mistakes and become a better person! I personally was really mad that Rhett and her didn't work things out and that the ending was Rhett walking out on her! I thought it was a love story, a Southern belle romance, and I was so dismayed that she didn't end up with Rhett, that he didn't give her one more chance, etc. I understand the story of perseverance and trials and standing strong, but the ending really just killed it for me! So, alas, we are giving the movie to my stepmom - she loves it. :)